Sunday, May 2, 2021

New shop at last.



 April was a heck of a month- EKG, stress test, angiogram, internal bleeding and a hematoma, three days of bed rest followed by 16 straight days of moving. I'm still alive and very close to recovered from my procedure at the hospital......living the dream. OK- now for the good news-I'm now in the best workspace I have ever had. I had to wait decades for it but at least I am there now. I have enough room to have a nice open floor and there's some natural light and more ventilation. The other bonus is that it is less rent than the last building I was in - more room, less rent ? In California ? -Yes.......does not seem possible but that's how it is now. I have no idea how long I'll be able to enjoy this spot but I'll be here as long as I can. Affordable industrial space is mostly extinct here in Santa Cruz. Small manufacturers like myself are being displaced by brew pubs , wine tasting rooms and cannabis distributors. Those are the businesses that have the money to pay for the high west side rents. There's a thriving economy in intoxication.....kind of funny but hey- I don't make the rules around here. 

So- I have a 'destination shop' but with Covid, I can't have a bunch of people coming by and I can't have a grand opening party. That's OK with me.....I have a major ton of work to do , delayed by my hospitalization and subsequent bed rest and also by the 2+ weeks of the move. I'm ready to re-start tomorrow. Wish me luck- I have to get this place up and running and there's a bunch of tools that are going to be hard to find at first.It will be a challenge but this year has been all about challenges for everybody. I'm glad that mine aren't that monumental.

No comments:

Post a Comment